This recipe is a recipe from Southern Living that a friend introduced me to. I don't like turnip greens, but I love this recipe. It's like a spicier spinach dip and has been devoured at every time I make it. I usually serve it with Townhouse Corn Bread Crackers, but multigrain crackers or tortilla chips will work as well.
Prep: 15 min., Cook: 20 min., Broil: 5 min. Transfer the dip to a 1- or 2-qt. slow cooker set on WARM so guests can enjoy this creamy dip throughout your party. To make it spicier, serve your favorite brand of hot sauce on the side.
Yield: Makes 4 cups
- 5 center cut lower fat bacon slices, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen chopped turnip greens, thawed
- 16 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 (8-oz.) container light sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven.
2. Sauté onion and garlic in hot drippings 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven. Stir in turnip greens, next 4 ingredients, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Cook, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until cream cheese is melted and mixture is thoroughly heated. Transfer to a lightly greased 1 1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
3. Broil 6 inches from heat 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Sprinkle evenly with bacon.